Mentors come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Actually, they come from a variety of backgrounds with a variety of experiences, but they do all share a common goal: to help you, their mentee succeed.
Throughout my life I’ve always made it a point to have a mentor in my life, in fact, I have always had multiple mentors. Some of these were Peer Mentors and others were Mentors. What’s the difference?
A peer mentor is someone who is at the same stage of career or life as you. They can provide you with support, advice and guidance relevant to your situation. They can also connect you with other peers going through similar experiences.
A mentor is someone who is more experienced than you and can help you learn and grow. They will help you develop your skills and knowledge while navigating the challenges of your business and life.
Good mentors are understanding, they listen and they share. Here are a few benefits to mentorship…
- A good mentor can help you develop your skills and knowledge. A mentor can provide you with the opportunity to learn from someone who has already been successful in your field. They can help you develop the skills you need to succeed.
- A good mentor can help you build a network of contacts. A mentor can introduce you to people who can help you grow your business. They can connect you with potential customers, business partners, and other important relationships.
- A good mentor can help you stay motivated and focused. When you are facing challenges in your business, it can be helpful to have someone to turn to for support. Your mentor can offer you advice and encouragement, and they can help you stay focused on your goals.
How do you find a good mentor? My best advice is to look for a mentor that is where you want to be, not where you are right now (peer mentor). Here are a few tips on how to find a good mentor…
- Ask for recommendations from people you admire. If you know someone who has been successful in business, ask them if they have any recommendations for mentors.
- Join a mentoring program. There are many mentoring programs available, both online and in person. These programs can help you connect with potential mentors who share your interests and goals.
- Look for mentors in your field. You can find mentors by attending industry events, reading industry publications, or networking with other professionals in your field.
- Be proactive. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people you admire and ask them if they would be willing to be your mentor. The worst they can say is no.
Once you have found a good mentor, it’s important for you to be a good mentee and be respectful of your mentor’s time. The relationship must be nurtured through regular communication. You must also be open to their feedback and have thick skin. You may feel like they are trying to tear down your dreams, but they are really just trying to save you from hardships.
Having a mentor is a great way to grow and develop as a person. Allow your mentor to mentor you. Don’t shut down, make sure you listen and take action!